Saturday, August 9, 2014

Up up and Away!!

Hello from serveral thousand feet in the air friends! 

Yes, I am currently on a plane ride. Our third and final ride to Nicaragua in Central America. I am traveling with my college basketball team for a missions trip opportunity. We will be spending over a week sharing our ability and love of basketball with others. We will be playing games with universities to help them improve and holding clinics for younger players to help instruct and improve their abilities. We also will be spending time in orphanages and refugee homes of children and trying to encourage them. In addition, we will be spending some time with the elderly in Nicaragua.

That paragraph barely summarizes our jam-packed intinary but I wanted to give an idea of what I will be doing these next 10 days. I also need to make it a point to tell you of our purpose of sharing the love of God with these people. Our thoughts, words, and actions are intended to be representitive of who we serve. We are truly honored to be able to share the love of God through the bouncing of a basketball. 

I am aware of how exhausting this trip will be. I am going to be fatigued: physically, emotionally, and spiritually. We all will be as a team. But this trip is not about us. It is about God and others. We all are wearing these braclets as a reminder that our needs are second for this trip. Yo soy segundo-- it translates to I Am Second. I am second to God and the plans He has for this world and the needs of others. I am already becoming humbled by an opportunity to say, "No, not me, but you, what can I do for you?" Imagine if we all adapted this mentality more often. If for a few short moments a day, we paused and thought, "Not me, but you. How can I help you?" I feel excited and electrified thinking about it. Trust me, I am selfish. I acknowledge that; I also want to become better. 
 

All I can finish this with is a request and a challenge. My request is that if you feel so lead, please pray for my team and the hearts of those we will be pouring into. Pray for safety for us and blessings on our words. That our words will be fruitful in the lives of others. 

Goal-- take a moment. Say it out loud to yourself. "I am second." Now repeat it. Now act upon your statement. 

Ready, Set, Go! 
Maisie-- international traveler 

A selfie from our first flight at 4:00 am with some of my dearest friends 

No comments:

Post a Comment